We are privileged to be the Principals of this all-through academy, serving generations of children and parents in the heart of Norfolk. We believe that our students should develop into positive, confident, creative and self-reflecting people who will contribute to the world in which we live.
We are proud of our rich, broad and balanced curriculum, which covers EYFS to key stage 4 and provides a wealth of extra-curricular opportunities for all ages. With students coming to us from a 200 square mile area, we are used to the uniqueness of educating students in a rural setting. We are based on two sites, set six miles apart, in the villages of Hockwold and Methwold.
We understand that we are not an all-through provision in the traditional sense; due to the geographical distance between the sites and the fact that on average, seven of our Year 6 students join the secondary site to join the cohort of 160 students Year 7 students, which is on average 5%. However, we strongly believe in the benefits our all through provision can have on our students, staff and communities.
- We believe that students who are with us for the duration of their learning benefit from our curriculum in ways that students who only attend the secondary site do not. We have subject leads on both sites, that meet regularly to discuss and develop a curriculum that meets the needs of all our learners.
- We also believe that there are significant gains in terms of pedagogy and practice when primary and secondary colleagues work together and share their expertise. We organise joint staff CPD when it is advantageous and necessary.
- We encourage our staff to collaborate on education events beyond the classroom, such as Science Week, sporting events and cultural events like Divali, so all phases can reap the benefit of the knowledge, experience and expertise of our staff.
- An all-through school is highly beneficial for getting to know a student and their family so we can meet their need and ensure effective transfer of information with the transition between year 6 and 7.
- We also ensure that we track our all through students as a unique cohort to ensure that their outcomes in terms of achievement, attendance and personal development benefit from being part of our academy for twelve years.
- We make certain that our students visit and get familiar with the secondary site during their primary years, to allow them to get used to the school environment and settle quickly in Year 7.
Our ‘Open Door’ policy ensures that there is always one of our team available to answer questions or solve any issues that may arise.
We welcome visits to either site for you to learn more about our academy. Please contact the academy office to book a visit.
Mrs Emma Owner and Mr Richard Rushton